Monday, July 19

warpaint


 Warpaint are a Los Angeles based “psychedelic” band and I’d have to say that description is apt. The acoustic and smoky harmonies of Warpaint’s “Billie Holiday” is a cover, borrowing large chunks of the Smokey Robinson-penned 1964 classic, “My Guy” (a hit for Mary Wells) and rerouting the original’s giddiness to adopt a sort of apathetic haze that’s very much in need of a Xanax, or perhaps the victim of one too many. After one listen to their music, you know you’re experiencing something special. The Echo Park based quartet of Emily Kokal (vocals, guitar), Jenny Lee Lindberg (bass, vocals), Theresa Wayman (vocals, guitar) and Josh “Jocelyn” Klinghoffer – have drawn comparisons to Cat Power, Sonic Youth, Mazzy Star and The Slits.




listen to a few of Warpaints songs below...

Nothing you can say,

Can take me away,
From my guy.
Nothing you could do,
'cause I'm stuck like glue,
To my guy.
I'm sticking to my guy,
Like a stamp to a letter,
Like birds of a feather,
We, stick together,
I can tell you from the start,
I can't be torn apart from my guy


Billie Holiday


Elephants

No comments:

Post a Comment